Your truck will only be as powerful as the amount of horsepower it has. Unfortunately, not all trucks are equipped with a high amount of horsepower, and the lack can sometimes cause you to lose power. Thankfully, there are ways to boost horsepower in a truck, and they will not cost you a lot. Allow this information to guide you on improving the performance power of any truck.
7 Ways to Boost the Horsepower of Your Truck
So, your truck just does not seem to be as powerful as it should be, and you are having trouble reaching speed on the highway. Instead of panicking, there are some tried and true ways to boost the horsepower without breaking the bank or your back. Consider the following to get started.
- One of the first things you should always do when horsepower is lacking is to get a tune-up. You must stay on top of maintenance to ensure your truck does not lose horsepower. Getting a tune-up will help you to see a return in horsepower.
- Another problem truck drivers do not think about is carrying around excess cargo. For every pound of extra cargo, your horsepower and engine efficiency will reduce by 1 to 2%. Ditch extra cargo, and you will see improvements.
- A cold air intake is also a good choice for improving the horsepower in a truck. Your truck need cannot be met fully without a cold air intake. A cold air intake will also improve the sound of your truck. It also provides your engine with more oxygen for better combustion.
- An aftermarket exhaust system can also be beneficial in helping you gain horsepower. The best exhaust system for your truck may not be a stock model. A better exhaust system will deliver more airflow and gas escape, for a higher function.
- Purchasing a new engine tuner and installing it can often help increase horsepower in most trucks. Unfortunately, stock engine tuners are not always ideal for creating a lot of horsepower. A tuner will make it shift better and you will see gains in performance.
- You should also consider purchasing an STS turbo kit. On a big truck, you are going to want to install a turbocharger. Turbochargers help to make an engine more responsive, so the horsepower is greatly increased.
- You should also consider an aftermarket supercharger. Superchargers have much less delay, so the engine performs much better and is supercharged, just as the name suggests. In fact, superchargers are often much more reliable than turbochargers, but you will have to go with what you prefer or your automotive specialist recommends.
Why Is Horsepower So Important?
Horsepower is extremely important because it is all about speed and keeping a truck running properly. The reason an engine’s power is measured in horsepower is that cars were invented to complete the work horses once did for people.
In its simplest of terms, horsepower is the amount of power your truck engine exhibits. If you are looking to go faster in your truck, more horsepower is what you need.
Understanding the Relationship Between Horsepower and Torque
Because both horsepower and torque lead to greater speed, many people confuse the two terms. It is wise to increase both to ensure your engine will perform at its highest level. Horsepower will better control your speed, while torque will help you pull those heavy loads without the engine beginning to sputter.
If your truck is not getting up to the speed you prefer, upping the horsepower is entirely possible. If you follow the above steps, it will be easy to increase the power and speed of your truck.
To get the best results make sure to choose the perfect air filter for car. With the above ways to boost horsepower in a truck, you will find your ride is performing better than ever before.
Even if you have a new truck, it may be helpful to boost the horsepower and torque because stock equipment does not always provide the highest level of horsepower. Do not be afraid to experiment with the above, and you will see major gains in power like never before.